Soul Eater is a funny manga about three shinigami students with their partners who can transform into weapons. they must train their weapons and eat 99 souls and a soul of a witch in order to be proper shinigami. its a really funny manga with lots of lovable characters and fanservice.
By Atsushi Okubo (Soul Eater)
Maka Albarn (Maka Aruban)
Voiced by: Junko Takeuchi (drama CD), Chiaki Omigawa (anime)
Maka is Soul's meister. She is the more level-headed of the two but when her anger gets the better of her, she will put her foot down. Where Soul seems to be the brawn, Maka is the brain. She always tries to think of a way to beat their opponent by exploiting the opponent's weaknesses. Her father is the Shinigami's current death scythe, she seems to hate her father for constantly flirting with other women but she still loves him. Her mother was also a scythe meister; she and Maka's father are divorced. Maka seems to be annoyed at the fact that her body has not developed yet (which is the center of some jokes in the series). She usually kicks Soul after he does something perverted or if he and Blair have been acting too friendly. Dr. Stein saw her soul and told her she was a "serious person who tries hard". Maka may have feelings for Soul due the fact she became extremely depressed when Soul was injured while trying to protect her, and get very upset when Blair flirts with him. Maka starts to develop black blood due to Soul's body being invaded by Ragnarök's black blood, transferred after Maka and Soul performed soul resonance after the event. She first awakens this power by facing off against Chrona underneath the school (though the first time it manifests itself is during the fight against Free). In this form, Maka is battle-crazed and incredibly powerful, more so than Chrona. Later in their fight, she begins to understand Chrona's wavelength more, and realizes that Chrona has never had physical contact. Their fight ends with Maka asking to become Chrona's friend.
Attacks: All of Maka's attacks are used together with Soul.
* Witch Hunter: A technique used by scythe meister's. It is used by Maka and Soul resonating their soul's to focus more power into their strikes. Soul's scythe head changes to a larger, crescent moon shaped blade.
* Hexagonal Hunter: A powerful slash using the Witch Hunt technique.
* Attack of the Six: A rotating slash with a six shape after image.
* Attack of the U: A crescent slash brought from below and drags the blade upward in the shape of a U after image.
* Maka Chop: This attack is used without the help of Soul Eater. It is similar to Shinigami's Direct Noggin Shinigami Chop but with the use of a book. Its purpose is solely for comedic relief and is usually used to discipline Soul Eater or any other male that steps out of line.
* Whirlwind Cut: When using this attack Soul collects the soul wavelength around him then sends it back, the downside of this attack is that it is indiscriminate attack so it can't be used in team missions.
* Demon Hunter: A more powerful form of Witch Hunt. Maka used it in the fight with The Clown during an assignment with Death The Kid.
* Straight Hunter: An energy shockwave that cuts in a straight line, used with Demon Hunter.
Black Star (Burakku Suta)
Voiced by: Yumiko Kobayashi (drama CD/anime)
He is Tsubaki's meister. He comes from a family of ninjas (The Star Clan), which explains the star on his shoulder. He uses ninja tactics. His biggest weakness is that he is a total show-off and thinks that he is some kind of star, which he happily proclaims, defeating the purpose of the ninja arts. The few times he uses his ninja stealth is when he peeps on Tsubaki (which normally ends up with him yelling and showing his whereabouts upon seeing Tsubaki's nude body) when she is bathing, or when he finally takes the fight seriously. His delusion of stardom is so great that he constantly gives out autographs that nobody wants. Black Star hates it when someone gets more attention then him and will show them who the real star is. He is also able to use his soul wavelength in hand-to-hand combat. Dr. Stein stated the painfully obvious when he said Black Star's was "a terribly self-absorbed soul". Black Star comes from a long line of assassins know as the Clan of the Star, and they would do anything for money, making them enemies in various places. Due to their actions, thirteen years ago, the entire clan was exterminated by Shibusen, while Black Star, just a newborn then, was taken in by Shibusen. Despite this, Black Star bears no malice over this, but thanks to his clan, when people the clan attacked notice the tattoo on his right shoulder they will chase him out by any means. His favorite number is one, most likely because he considers himself to be number one. Due to a few of defeats he's received Black Star has started to doubt his skills and seems to have become obsessed with gaining power (like his father White Star that became a kishin because of it). He travels with Tsubaki to her home and while training enters the spirit realm within Tsubaki's sword form. There he confronts the spirit of the sword (possibly part of Masamune's soul) and comes to realize that he is walking the path of the kishin. Black Star overcomes his doubts and finally finds peace with his soul and unlocks his true soul resonance with Tsubaki.
Attacks: Black Star has attacks he can use with and without Tsubaki, which makes him more versatile then other meisters.
* Shield Star: By using Soul Resonance with Tsubaki in Scythe Chain form he creates a shield for defense.
* Trap Star: By placing the chain of Tsubaki's Scythe Chain form in a star shape on the ground anything that enters will by sensed by Black Star and bound in the chains before they can escape.
* Speed Star: Created by Black Star to move at highs speeds (mostly for dodging attacks).
* Hissatsu Kokusei Big Wave (Deadly Black Star Big Wave): A powerful attack that requires Black Star to use a fighting style similar to Dr. Stein's Soul Purge. Initially it starts with an elbow strike to stun the enemy, then a powerful punch which sends a large amount of soul energy through the opponents body. This technique was first used on Mifune by of which he was defeated.
* Soul Threat: This attacks is like the soul purge but with more power behind it.
* Soul Threat Planet Destruction Cannon: This is an even more powerful version of the soul threat, its strength is high enough to push back a strong opponent like Mifune with one hand.
* Shadow Star: This can only be used with Tsubaki's Demon Blade form, it grants a boost of speed and power while a Shadow Puppet is in front of Black Star to attack anything in the way. (This attack covers Black Star with tattoos). In the manga, it has been revealed that extended use of this technique is slowly killing him, but he refuses to accept this. Later after ridding his heart of despair, Black Star is able to invoke new forms with Shadow Star called Katas.
* Shadow Star: Endgame Cleave: While using Shadow Star, he combines a dash with with a multi-hit slashing combination.
* Shadow Star, First Kata, Black Chain: While using Shadow Star, Black Star transmutes the sword into a wider sickle-like blade with a long black chain attached to the hilt. The sword can be swung like a blade-whip.
* Shadow Star, Third Kata, Absolute Shadow: While using Shadow Star, Black Star transmutes the sword into a large kunai-style dagger. Using this technique, Black Star moves with the speed of shadow creating clone-like afterimages.
* Shadow Star, Fourth Kata, Dark Limb: Using Black Star's soul energy, Tsubaki can take control of one of Black Star's clone afterimages created by the third kata and fight as a team.
Death The Kid (Desu Za Kiddo)
Voiced by: Takako Honda (drama CD), Mamoru Miyano (anime)
He is Patty and Liz's meister and the Shinigami's son. He is called Kid by his friends and family. He suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder, which is represented as a complete obsession about everything being symmetrical and takes the idea of perfection to the extremes. To him, anything symmetrical is beautiful and if it is off by any measurement (a picture frame off by millimeter, or a pose that is slightly out of place), he will try to correct it right away, even if the situation calls for utmost attention. The biggest problem Kid has with is his hair one side being completely black while the other has three white strips going across it. Showing Kid anything that is too asymmetrical or mentioning his hair will send him into a state of massive depression (which normally takes encouragement from Patty and Liz to break). In the most extreme of cases, Kid will cough up blood and faint; this is usually set off by his hair being cut, or completely failing to make something symmetrical.
He refers to Shinigami as 'honorable father' (chichiue). His father has mentioned that Kid is a shinigami and does not need to collect souls but Kid says he wants to make a weapon of his own. His father also says that since he uses two weapons (the guns do not count as a set), he will have to collect twice as many souls (198 evil human souls and two witch souls). It is mentioned by Maka that it is normally hard to match soul wavelengths with more than one weapon, but Kid is able to do so because he, Liz, and Patty have a mutual admiration for each other. Kid admires Patty and Liz's positive souls due to his negative personality. If he sees anything perfect or symmetrical get broken or destroyed, it will send him into a blind rage where he will unload all of his power to erase the offensive sight from his eyes. He has a flight-capable skateboard called Beelzebub, which he uses as a form of short distance transportation, though it could be used for long distance as well, as seen to be used for flying to Egypt. His favorite number is eight because of its symmetry.
As he was born a Shinigami, Kid's potential power is technically far above that of his fellow Shibusen students. However, the details of Kid's, or his father's, nature as Shinigami have not been revealed. Both share a skull motif (in Shinigami's mask and Kid's rings) and dark, vaguely monstrous, shadows appear around them when either use their abilities, such as Shinigami attacking Asura and Kid using Soul Resonance. Mosquito has stated that Kid has type D blood.
Attacks: Kid fights using a form of Gun-Kata, though, for some reason, he usually holds the guns upside-down (while pulling the triggers with his pinkies). Also, he will not fight until he has both Liz and Patty with him so the style is symmetrical.
* Death God Martial Art, Stance of Sin: This fighting style is Kid's normal style but without using Liz and Patty and therefore focuses on chops, kicks, and hammer blows (all of which can be symmetrical). He also adopts the stance before fighting Chrona and Ragnarok.
* Death Ride: Not really an attack it is Kid doing a rail slide with his skateboard.
* Dark Needle: A seldom seen attack of Kid's that one of his most powerful. A giant black blast that leaves behind a series of skull-shaped smoke.
* Tornado Flip: Kid launches his skateboard, spinning, at an opponent possibly cutting them in half. Not much is known as it was only used to save Patty and Liz once when they were being constricted by the Pharaoh of Wrath.
* Death Cannon: Kid's Soul Resonance attack. When activated, Kid's lower arms are covered with metal and resemble cannon barrels. Three black spikes come out of each of the upper arms. He then charges his attack and fires two giant blasts of energy from the cannons that impact with the opponent, leaving behind a series of skull shaped smoke.
Ox Ford (Okkusu Fodo)
Ox is one of the top students at Shibusen in terms of grades and is Harvar's meister. He is named after the University of Oxford. He calls himself the "Skilled General Lightning King" a fact that annoys Black Star because they are two different titles 'King' and 'General'. He also has one-sided feelings for Kim. Later in the series when he attempts to rescue Kim from Arachnophobia and displays his sincere adoration for her, Kim starts to reciprocate his feelings.
Attacks: His attacks focus on using Harvar's lightning powers on contact.
* Lightning King: After stabbing the enemy Harvar will shock them.
* Lightning King Spear: A anti-air thrusting technique that moves the user in the motion of a lightning bolt.
* Lightning King Quake: A anti-ground long-range technique that erupts lightning from below the enemy.
Kilik Lunge (Kiriku Rungu)
Kilik is a pot meister and is often teamed up with Ox for missions. Kilik uses a pair of twins as his weapons, Pot of Fire and Pot of Thunder. Though termed "pots", they resemble large gloves in their weapon form. Out of weapon form they resemble two small girls with blue eyes. Kilik also seems to be pretty agile, having the second best running time in Shibusen after Black Star.
Attacks: His attacks emphasize on the raw punching power of his elemental pots.
* Lightning Flash: Using soul resonance with the Pot of Thunder, Kilik chops through the enemy.
* Triple F (Flame Flint Fist): Using soul resonance with the Pot of Fire, Kilik hits with a right straight punch.
* Aphex Twin: Using soul resonance with both Pot of Thunder and Pot of Fire, Kilik combines a fireball and lightning together and smashes his palms into the enemy.
Kim Diehl (Kimu Diru)
Kim is a lamp meister and partner to Jacqueline. She is the object of Ox's affections but she constantly turns him down. Kim is obsessed with making money. Kim and her weapon are allied with the Arachnophobia, a group that serves the witch Arachne, though this is not entirely be her choice. It is reveled that Kim is a witch that wanted to get away from the witch assembly and the witch's lifestyle and thus became a student. Her partner knows she is a witch, but sticks by her all the way. Her animal theme is a tanuki (raccoon), her magic chant is longer then most magic users "Tanunucoon Raccooncoo n Ponpon Ponkitanu Pon Pon Pon". Because of Kim's forte in magic, regeneration, which goes against the instinct for witches to use their magic in (destruction), she was cast out of the witch society; however, due to her witch heritege, she was simularily cast out of Shibusen; because of these two experiences, she has come to depend on money, as it doesn't discriminate between its handlers.
Attacks: Her techniques initiate through transformation before it functions.
* Change Pixy: It transforms Jacqueline into a rocket-powered broom allowing her flight capabilities.
* Regeneration Magic: The first spell she used after being attack by Harver, her spells specialize in regenerative and healing abilities.
Shinigami and Shibusen staff
Voiced by: Ryusuke obayashi (drama CD), Rikiya Koyama (anime)
Shinigami, referred to with the suffix sama as a term of respect, is the Grim Reaper himself. He is by far the most powerful character in the series. He is a bit of a joker but when the time comes, he is all business. His number to call him through a window is 42-42-564 (shini-shini-goroshi), which literally means death-death-murder in Japanese. He has a special move called a "Direct Noggin Shinigami Chop" (which is normally shown when Shinigami shows his large flat four fingered hand appearing from his robe). He constantly has to put up with Death Scythe's antics when it comes to Maka or her progress. He seems to take on a more playful attitude when talking with his son (he says he likes his son's three white strips on his hair), but at the same time thinks he can be quite the handful and is glad that Patty and Liz look after him. Shinigami's soul wavelength is so large that it covers the entirety of Death City. Shinigami sealed the first kishin and the seal is the reason he cannot leave Death City. Shinigami used to wear a more skull-like mask and spoke in a much scarier manner than he does today. He explained this was because when Shibusen was founded, he changed it in order to not scare the children. While it has not been shown what he looks like without the mask on, since his son appears as a human, Shinigami may also have a human appearance.
Sid Barett (Shido Baretto)
Voiced by: Susumu Akagi (drama CD), Masafumi Kimura (anime)
A man who died and turned into a zombie. The rumors of the school said he got the idea of absolute freedom stuck in his head and started attacking students to show them the amount of freedom dying has brought him. When they found Sid in the graveyard, he fought them by using his own gravestone as a substitute weapon to great effect. It was shown that Dr. Stein turned him into a zombie and thus was targeted by the Maka and Black Star's teams as part of their remedial lessons. It was later revealed to be a trick set up by Shinigami and Dr. Stein to show the students how to see and use soul energy (only Maka could see it after the assignment). Since then, Sid acts as a spy to get information on the witches and their plans. He constantly talks about how he has always been "that kind of man" (when he was alive) and the things he could not do when he was alive but now can since he's a zombie. During his time when he was alive, Sid was a three star meister and a knife meister. His job was taken over by Dr. Stein. He still goes to the school to help the student and teachers in any way he can. Sid's reason for helping the school is that it is what he would have done when he was alive. He is named after Syd Barrett.
Attacks: Sid uses his own gravestone as a weapon or Nygus in her knife form. He is also capable of using Azusa to make sniper attacks.
* Living End: Sid's signature attack where he uses his gravestone to pound his opponent into the ground, creating an enormous cross of soul energy. It can be utilized on the ground as well as in the air.
* Compulsive Burial: Sid activates Soul Resonance with Nygus, then stabs her (in knife form) into the ground which causes coffins to appear below a person and act as an escape route. This technique creates a simple way of escape by the means of an escape tunnel going directly downwards.
Franken Stein (Furanken Shutain)
Voiced by: Mitsuru Miyamoto (drama CD), Yuya Uchida (anime)
Dr. Franken Stein is the man that changes Sid into a zombie. He is based on the central characters from Mary Shelley's novel Frankenstein, an amalgamation of the mad scientist and Frankenstein's monster itself. He was Death Scythe's first partner (Maka's mother was the second). He was the most powerful meister to ever graduate from Shibusen. He has a bolt going through his head, which he turns so his thoughts would be on the matter at hand and stitches all over his body and clothes. Stein is such a strong fighter that he can take down Black Star while still seated in his chair. Stein sees everything in the world, including himself, as an experiment or specimen. He even experimented on Death Scythe when he was sleeping during the five years they worked together. A running joke is that whenever Stein goes and sits on a rolling chair, he leaves rolling backwards and falls in the exit.
His understanding of soul wavelengths gives him a huge advantage against other users since he can change his own to match the other's wavelength and thereby nullify or disrupt the soul wavelength of the meister and weapon. This comes from his high spiritual flexibility and by observing his opponent beforehand. His soul wavelength is so high that he does not need a weapon and can channel it through his body and release it as an electric discharge. He has a strange hobby of wanting to dissect anything he thinks is interesting, and once as part of a lesson tried to have his class dissect an endangered animal claiming that it would be bad if he did not find out anything from it before it became extinct.
After he tries to kill Medusa, and the kishin revives, Stein mentions that the kishin's wavelength brings out the insanity in everyone. He himself notices that since his own insanity is extremely large already, this effect could come to his insanity possessing him. Shinigami also sees this, and has Death Scythe watch Stein closely. Marie is assigned to be Stein's new partner as her soul wavelength is supposed to have a calming effect on the insanity. After Medusa takes the form of a little girl, she instructs Chrona to slip a snake into Marie's coffee which increases Stein's insanity wavelength, and at one time renders him unable to fight. Even without this magic, Stein is slowly losing the fight against his insanity, and he knows it. Stein is implicated as the murderer of a fellow Shibusen colleague, but Death Scythe, Nygus and Sid believe Stein is innocent and allow him to escape Shibusen with Marie to find the real culprit.
Attacks: Dr. Stein is a genius of using Soul Wavelength so he can fight with or without a weapon.
* Soul Purge: See techniques entry
* Double Soul Purge Twin Lance: See techniques entry
* Protective Spirit Body: See techniques entry
* Witch Hunt: See techniques entry
* Soul Menace: See techniques entry
* Soulthread Stitches: After hitting his opponent with his soul wavelength a small electric charge is left in the body, after he can control the soul wavelength he left in the enemy's body and stitch they feet or any other other part of they body to the floor locking they movements. He can also use this to hold himself in place so as not to be pushed back or pulled forward by enemy attacks. Known also as Soul Sewing.